This is me

This is me
On a good day.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Smoother

While travelling last weekend, I received an email with an attachment on my iPhone. In general, I don't open attachments on the iPhone, because they're difficult to read with my aging eyes. This one, however, caught my attention.

The message was from my daughter. It read, Dear Kates Family, Please fill in the following chart as to what chores you want to do on what days. The goal is to make things run smoother at this house.

Smoother? I wondered just how much smoother she would like to see things run. We are busy people. Very busy people. Business owners, students, athletes, volunteers. We manage to work out, keep ourselves showered and presentable. We are rarely late. The house is clean (albeit we have a housekeeper every two weeks) and straightened. Really, just what is not going well, in her estimation?

For my kids, there are two fears: aftercare and hot lunch from the cafeteria. In all my years of parenting, they have never been subjected to these tortures. This email made me recall the one and only time something went wrong in our pickup schedule. The friend who forgot to pick them up realized her mistake and immediately returned to school. She found them both in the principal's office crying and holding each other. They are not shy to share their drama.

I didn't need to look much further for the explanation. You see, she forgot the attachment. So, a following message read, Here is the updated chore Schedule! If you think something might not be do able, let me know. She had filled her own chores in and her brother's. Left blank were mama and daddy's spaces.

My instinct told me to wait until I returned home to fill in my blanks. She was waiting, with pencil in hand, when I returned to "work with me," on my schedule. So, we did. I am responsible for cooking dinner on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. I also must do laundry on Sundays. Weed the garden on Saturdays. I actually was impressed with the chores she chose for herself and her brother. Some perspective told me not to focus on the subtle critique of my home management. She is just trying to help out, and this instinct to organize everyone around her? Well, she comes by it honestly.

Sure hope things run smoother.




No comments:

Post a Comment